AAC Encoding - Fre:ac

After trying the online tool referenced, I found two major (show-stopper) issues :

1. limited use (you need to register/pay for unlimited conversions/batch conversion)
  2. unusable AAC files (bad bitrate).

After looking a little, I found an OPENSOURCE and FREE solution working at least on Windows and Linux (I don’t have a Mac computer) : Fre:ac (previously BonkEnc).

In the filter options, you need to activate two filters : the channel (set to mono)- and the samplerate (set to 24000).
In the encoder, you need to put FDK-AAC and configure it for 64kbps and AAC (AAC is on the second tab).

Il allows batch-encoding (but better go to optios->encoder and set file name to something without a directory name for example - ).

1 Like

Hi @vapula,

Thank you for reaching out.

I forwarded your post to our development team, and they’ll get back to you with an answer as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Monika from CirucitMess

Hello there!

When writing the usage guide, we were looking for something users could easily use without installing any third-party software, so the online tool we referenced was a natural choice. It seems, however, since then the tool has changed, and we’ll update the guide with a better alternative ASAP.

Thank you for letting us know about the changes and suggesting an alternative. We’ll look into Fre:ac and some other alternatives and put them into the Jay-D usage guide in the near future :slightly_smiling_face:

Filip