Anarch, Doom-like game

Hello,

Iā€™ve just got my Ringo for Christmas and Iā€™ve ported my game Anarch to it. It is a completely public domain FPS game inspired by games like Doom and Wolf3D, made from scratch and to be very portable. Here is its website.

To port it I just had to write a small frontend (fewer than 200 LOC). I wanted to use EEPROM for saving progress, but that somehow didnā€™t work (I think the firmware uses it), so itā€™s using the SD now. Also Iā€™ve noticed that even though the TFT library accepts 565 colors, it displays them as 332, so the colors are a bit distorted when compared to other versions. The sound only plays beeps as I didnā€™t find a simple way to play sounds from memory, the sound lib can only play wav files. FPS is set to 35, even though I think it could go higher. I think the port could be improved, but I am pretty lazy and donā€™t like developing for Arduino, so if anyone feels like it, you can do it :slight_smile:

thanks

download binary
source code

3 Likes

This is awesome, @drummyfish! Iā€™m very impressed by what you achieved here-- not only with Anarch but with raycastlib and related projects like small3dlib. I am enjoying Anarch a lot, it runs surprisingly smooth and really shows what the Ringo is capable of. I look forward to playing the Linux and Meta versions as well. Cheers :slight_smile:

@drummyfish Wow, this is amazing.

Would you be able to port this to our Nibble game console?

We can send you a free unit and could perhaps preload this game on every unit if youā€™d be ok with that

1 Like

Where can I find instructions on how to play? That is, what each of the buttons do, etc. Itā€™s not terribly obvious just pressing buttons at random. Canā€™t figure out, for example, how to switch knife to something else.

COOL! Awesome! This rocks!

Thank you!

arrows (also buttons 1-6): movement
A (also 8): game A button, shoot, confirm
B (also 9): game B button, hold to strafe
7: game C button (with other keys can switch weapons etc.)
*: map
#: jump
0: menu
func left/func right: change weapons

The HW specs are more than enough, the game just needs 3 buttons besides arrow keys, so if the menu button can be used by the game then yes. Not sure if there is an emulator, youā€™d have to wait until I buy this, which probably wonā€™t be soon, however, doing the port is really pretty easy as I designed it exactly for portability, so anyone can do it. You only need to write a few lines of frontend like this and compile only that single file with Arduino IDE, thatā€™s it.

It works really great on the nibble console you just have to downloadthe source code of anarch on github and put the nibble_master file and all the files with .h on a new folder called nibble_master, open it with arduino IDE and choose the nibble board and then export !