Arduino UNO +screens

I’m working on a project from scratch. The project requires a color screen. I decided the cheapest option for me is to start with a generic screen. I took a chance by getting two. One is a 1.6" SPI LCD module with 130x130, and the other is a 1.77" RGB TFT with 160x128(not from Ringo).

I am currently waiting for wires before I start. I thought for now that I would look at different pages for information on where to start. I took notes for my 8 pin LCD module. I don’t have much information on the RGB tft(it also has 8 thankfully). The RGB tft has pretty much the same pins (GND,VCC,SCK,SDA,RES,RS,CS).RES/RS??. Guess I’ll find out in testing?
I have no paper documentation. Both screens were pretty much chinese screens from an “internet search” - eBay and amazon. The LCD module belongs to the ESP8266. It’s the dedicated LCD.

So far, I downloaded the tft_espi driver for generic SPI tfts on the Arduino library. It says that’s good for 8 pins. I have the github up for the library.
My notes essentially indicate where I should attach my pins on UNO.
A0/DC pin 9, GND, 5v pin VCC, reset to some pin, LED to GND or 3.3v, SCK to pin 13, SDA to pin 11, CS to pin 10.

The pin layout I confirmed from various youtube projects. I’m hoping that someone experienced with generic screens has recommendations or requests before I hook everything up. I’m also looking forward to hearing from Circuitmess. I imagine you know what I’m going through :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading and or replying

I decided to break one by placing it directly in and it almost fried.
So I thought it was funny when it worked and took a picture as a joke.
I know my sense of humor is weird :crazy_face:

1 Like

A gem I found in the thermal camera tutorial on Adafruit

Thermal Camera tutorial - wiring

There are SDA(etc) ports and such on the metro board.

This looks interesting. What are anyone’s thoughts on plug and play screen?
Plug and play screen? How does that work?

While looking on an instructable tutorial, I found the pin for RS and RST. RS is 9 and RST is 8. Which means the RS is equal to A0/DC. That’s confusing like MOSI.

@8bitRobot cool project.

Just be aware that an UNO is not powerful enough for properly driving a color display. The refresh rate is going to be really bad.

For better performance, try getting yourself an ESP32, ESP8266 or anything similar to Arduino Zero or Teensy.

My project doesn’t require loading files. It will be displaying from sensors. I will not require a refresh rate. I only need pixels to change colors.