Cannot even play a single song without stutter/skipping only when using BOTH speakers

Built this device together with my son. Testing all the buttons, sliders and encoders went fine. Playing music however was hardly possible as it continued to skip and stutter. This happened even when we were just playing a single song, without touching any of the controls.

Iā€™ve assembled many electronic devices before and Iā€™ve checked all the soldering which looked perfect.

Iā€™ve tried to use another power supply (original raspberry pi 4 supply which is known for its stability), but this didnā€™t solve the issues.

Iā€™ve tried a different high quality SD card, but this also didnā€™t solve the issue.

Tried it with headphones andā€¦ it suddenly worked perfectly fine. So I started to suspect the speakers.

Diconnected one speakerā€¦ and all of a sudden the device worked fine. Disconnected the other speaker (reconnected the other) and it continued to worked fine.

Then I decided to measure the resistance of the speakers which should be 4 ohmsā€¦ BUT the one speaker measures just 3 ohms and the other just 2.8 ohms. Which is 25% off of their stated value

My guess is that the DAC / Amplifier cannot handle the +25% offset of what they are supposed to be.

Again, disconnecting one speaker (I decided to disconnected the 2.8 ohm) fixes all the issues.

Maybe this can be of help to some others.

Kind regards,

Wesley
P.S. Circuitmessā€¦ you can, but do not have to send new speakers.

1 Like

If you find my earlier post, I had the same problem. I modified the speaker wiring so the two speakers were connected in series. The amp chip is mono and has an output impedance of 4 ohms. When you connect the two 4 ohm speakers in parallel, as designed, this halves the speaker impedance to 2 ohm, lower than the amp can apparently handle.

1 Like

= Cheap hardware. I was so happy to see this kind of kickstarter. I had high hopes for Jay-D after spencer being a flop. I will post a new issue about my bent pins with day-d. I believe circuit mess has great ideaā€™s, they just impliment with the most cheapest components possible.

I have had the adafruit adabox since the beginning, and none of circuit mess , and their products would have had anything similar to Circuit mess fails, they greatly once again when it comes to producing something for a young mind. FFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Bo

Neil, thatā€™s a nice solution. Thanks for the picture.

1 Like

Sorry, Bo but I like to disagree with you. The prices for these boxes are really really fair and the quality is always very good, considering the price being paid and the purpose of these boxes. They are very well balanced.

And instead of calling it a fail, an educator should see this as a nice chance to do some debugging together and teach your kid some troubleshooting. Learn them, that almost nothing in life is perfect and things sometimes need a little bit of extra attention to get it to work for you. Learn to cope with setbacks.

That however requires for the educator to have a little bit of a more positive mentality.

6 Likes

I couldnā€™t have said it better myself! Iā€™m looking forward to getting into the programming of the Jay-D, so we, as a community, can develop ideas.

Let us know if it works :grin:

Hey there @websware please reach out to us at contact@circuitmess.com and our customer support team will be glad to help you out! Đ

Dora from the CM

@doraCM Thanks so much for the offer, but @neilthenurse provided me with a suitable solution already.

2 Likes

It worksā€¦

1 Like

Excellent! Have you gone for the one wire in each plug approach or just the one plug?

Just one plug. A little bit more work but I think it looks nicer.

1 Like

Aha! CM have just published the Jay-D schematics and there is a 150 resistor on the speaker -ve between the headphone socket and the speaker. ā€œOh ma heidā€ as we say here is Scotland. I need to dig out those electrical engineering booksā€¦

But then hang on, what is this symbol?

itā€™s the pogo pin pads used for testing the boards in the manufacturing process

1 Like

is this what you and neil are doing to put them in series?

sorry for the highly not technical drawing. iā€™m an IT guy not an electronics guy.

1 Like

@maer_sf Yes, thatā€™s exactly what we did. Drawing is perfectly fine and technical enough for me.

1 Like

Iā€™ve not been on here in a while, but I can also confirm (as @websware has said), that this is indeed the workaround!