Changing Display to OLED

Having successfully constructed my MAKERbuino Inventor’s Edition, the first thing I wanted was to have more space on the screen for displaying data etc.

I decided to get a 1.5 inch OLED SSD1327 (128x128 pixels), which is similar in shape to the Nokia 5110, and can use the same pins. I desoldered the Nokia and replaced it with an 8-pin angled header to allow me to swap in different screens for experiments. I cut a small u-shaped plexiglass mount for my new screen, and using most of the original screws, I managed to fit it reasonably neatly in place.

I tested it using an example file from the arduino library U8g2, and it fired up successfully (photo below).




wow, this is neat! How did you manage to cut the plexiglass like this? Did you use a CNC machine?


For prototyping like this - I just sketch the shape on plexiglass with a pigment liner pen, then use an old-fashioned jigsaw, cleaning up with a flat metal file. Small holes are pre-drilled at changes of sawing direction - makes life easier with plastics.

Draw-Cut-File-Fit-Repeat works most of the time…

I’m more of a Hackspace person than a Fablabber - so hand tools are always my first choice, although for me a pillar drill for the 3mm fixing holes is a must-have.

Today I decided to create a small angled bracket for the original Nokia5110 Display (photo below). Simple shape - minimal materials - hand-made. I borrowed my wife’s craft heat gun to do the bending, and it all worked out OK I think.

Angled acrylic bracket for Nokia5110 Display

I have noticed one problem with the top acrylic plate of my MAKERbuino - it was slightly bowed, most likely from laser cutting, and fixing my display mounting plate has straightened this up. The buttons previously moved freely enough, but now they are getting stuck under the plate. (You’ll see from the photo that I’ve temporarily removed the cap for button A). I’ll get the holes filed later…

My MAKERbuino is the “Inventor’s Kit” version, and it struck me that an angled display for a table-top experiment would be a useful mod. I’ve used the jumper cables from the kit to wire it up.

Now if only creating a new bootloader could be this easy …