CircuitBlocks (1.2.3) doesn't work

Hello!

I installed CircuitBlocks but it has stuck in its launching process.

Version: 1.2.3

What I did:

1. Installed the CircuitBlocks.
  2. Stucked in downloading Platform files (Sorry that I’ve forgotten the exact text in the dialog).
  3. Forcefully quitted the application.
  4. Launched the application again.
  5. Stucked with the “Updating” dialog.

Here is a screen capture in #5.

I tried to launch the application on Mac and Windows 10 but the results were the same.

Does anyone face the same issue or have a solution against it?

Hi I am having apparently the same problem!

Today I downloaded the 64 bit .deb file from the circuitmess download page on a Ubuntu 18.04 laptop (the requirements said that a 16.04 ubuntu would do, older verions not tested, but newer I hope would be ok?). The Ubuntu Software centre didn’t install it so I did it on the command line
$ sudo dpkg -i Circuitblocks-----.deb

and while it installed and the proper links were created, I couldn open the application. Not after reboot either. I see with ps that the programme is running various times (so many times I tried —)

Any clue?

Hi, seems I have a similar problem as polikeiji.

I’m on macOS 10.13.6, tried CB 1.2.3 and currently trying CB 1.2., same result on both.

On both installs I get a JavaScript Error relating to path. Sorry, can’t reproduce the text either.
After ForceQuit and restart of CB, it installed platform files and Arduino-CLI.
When creating a new sketch, a connected Nibble doesn’t seem to be recognised.

I’m new to Arduino, so not exactly sure what should happen.

Any hints would be much appreciated.

@wtebbens @microbert @polikeiji

please reach out to us via contact@circuitmess.com and include any relevant info.

We’ll help you make CircuitBlocks work.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

@albertgajsak
Thank you for your reply. I emailed.

wtebbens and microbert
After I get a solution via email, I’ll share it here :slight_smile:

1 Like

@wtebbens and @microbert

I haven’t received a reply from the support but I could successfully launch the application after waiting with the dialog for several hours.

@albertgajsak

I hope that the application shows a progress bar for the updating process needing several hours at least and the updating thread doesn’t lock the user interface.

@polikeiji please give us a bit more time and our support team will reply. Thank you for your support and patience

hi there,
today I used another machine, with Ubuntu 20.04, and downloaded CircuitBlocks 1.2.4. with both packages: appImage and the .deb file. Here is my feedback:

1. with AppImage, making it executable and running it, it gives this output:
    ./CircuitBlocks-1.2.4-Linux.AppImage
    A JavaScript error occurred in the main process
    Uncaught Exception:
    Error: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.32’ not found (required by /tmp/.org.chromium.Chromium.30WL1l)
    at process.func (electron/js2c/asar.js:140:31)
    at process.func [as dlopen] (electron/js2c/asar.js:140:31)
    at Object.Module._extensions…node (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:922:18)
    at Object.func (electron/js2c/asar.js:140:31)
    at Object.func [as .node] (electron/js2c/asar.js:149:18)
    at Module.load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:735:32)
    at Module._load (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:648:12)
    at Module._load (electron/js2c/asar.js:717:26)
    at Function.Module._load (electron/js2c/asar.js:717:26)
    at Module.require (internal/modules/cjs/loader.js:775:19)

2. with the deb package for 64 bits, simply installing it with the Ubuntu software install centre resulted in a very long wait. After 5 minutes I aborted that operation. Then I used the sudo dpkg -i command to install it over the command line. Apparently it installed correctly:

sudo dpkg -i CircuitBlocks-1.2.4-Linux_x64.deb
    [sudo] password for wouter:
    Selecting previously unselected package circuitblocks.
    (Reading database … 242532 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack CircuitBlocks-1.2.4-Linux_x64.deb …
    Unpacking circuitblocks (1.2.4) …
    Setting up circuitblocks (1.2.4) …
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1ubuntu1) …
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.24-1ubuntu3) …
    Processing triggers for mime-support (3.64ubuntu1) …
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) …

But when choosing to run the installed Circuitmess app, well no answer. This is exactly what I experienced before with the 1.2.3. version on Ubuntu 18.04 as reported before.

Any tips?

Hello, guys!

Sorry for the long wait. Last friday we’ve published a new version of CircuitBlocks that adds Spencer programming and also resolves a lot of issues that were occurring in the installation process. You can download the newest version from https://circuitmess.com/circuitblocks/download/

If you have canceled the installation process at some point, and compiling/uploading sketches doesn’t work, please install the newest version of CB, delete the directory /Users/(username)/Library/Arduino15 on Mac, C:\Users(username)\AppData\Local\Arduino15 on Window, or ~/.arduino15 on Linux. The next time you start CircuitBlocks, the files that were previously corrupt will install again and everything should work. Please note that this process can take up to 10 minutes, depending on your internet connection. If it hangs indefinitely, please contact us at contact@circuitmess.com so we can resolve the issue.

I have also compiled the Linux version against glibc 2.27, so it should work on Ubuntu 18.04 onwards, and Mint 20. These are the distros I’m 100% positive that work, but every other distro with glibc 2.27 or newer will work too.

Let us know if you get any other issues, and I’ll make sure we fix it for the next release.

Filip

1 Like

Hi everyone,

the latest version of CB (1.3.1) at least finishes installing in a finite time (less than 10min).
I left my Arduino installation from a previous CB install in place and only deleted the
~/Library/Arduino15 folder as described by Flip above, so the installation did not redownload the full Arduino installation, only updated the Library.

However, that did NOT solve the code upload issue to Nibble on OSX BigSur. I still get the same upload error.

And I realise this is a problem of Arduino being broken on BigSur, but CB relies on Arduino…

The solution that fixed the issue for me is to update esptool to 3.0 and pyserial to 3.4 as described here:

https://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?p=89429

Hope that helps.

Cheers, Uli

3 Likes

Sup, guys. Thanks for letting us know about the issue on BigSur. I’m updating my development Mac to the latest OSX version as I’m writing this. Within a day or two I’ll publish a new version of our ESP32 Arduino platform that will incorporate the fix. When you next start CircuitBlocks after the update is published, it will automatically download and install it.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,
Filip