Connector for breakout pads possible?

Since the Makerphone final design eliminated the i2c connector(s), has anyone figured out how to add a connector to the main boardā€™s 7 breakout pads (bottom right) so that an i2c device/bus could be plugged in when needed, but would not interfere with the use of the phone when not in use. The goal is a connector that would not protrude from the bottom of the phone, would fit in the very tight space available (above or below the board), and could be installed on a finished phone (i.e. without removing the brain board). It looks pretty impossible to me :frowning_face:

2 Likes

@frankprindle I suggest you connect your i2c device directly to the connector with some wires

Weā€™ll look into bringing a more elegant i2c breakout solution in our future kit iterations, thank you for your feedback

2 Likes

Is it possible to use this breakout - pins also as GPIO to connect to an Arduino, or other hardware (to read sensors as input, or control stuff as output). Means = use the Ringo as an (quite smart and networked) interface to physical computing?

Thatā€™s exactly what I2C is for. If you go to adafruit.com (and Iā€™m sure elsewhere) youā€™ll find very many sensors and controls that will sit on an I2C bus. You would access such devices by using the Arduino wire library.

1 Like

Thnx, Frank! Gonna search for that, because I want to test the Ringo with domotics and wearables :slight_smile:

Feel free to experiment and share your results!

Iā€™m sure everyone is eager to see what it can all be done with Ringo. :slight_smile:

Robert

Certainly will do :slight_smile: But for know, I have to learn how to connect it (with what piece, to what hardware exactly - preferring not to buy sensors, but communicating with Arduino/RASP). Suggestions?

Depends on what you want to do exactly.

Have some clear idea in mind? :slight_smile:

A good question. To be true, only vague ideas.

• wearable = For example, a glove with flex-sensors, accelerometer, read by Arduino Nano. Would connect to Ringo to monitor values. The readout could look like in yodas FxSynth.
  • domotics = would use a RASP to read temperature, activate irrigation, and the Ringo could be like the central control from the dormitory (with the UI, RGB LEDs as indicator lights, & sending and receiving SMS to control).
    Internet not always works at my home, sometimes I have to disconnect the router to reactive wifi. If I have to do this not being home, it wouldnā€™t be able to do it online, so an old-school SMS to activate a relay in order to interrupt the current would be handy.
1 Like