Error updating Firmware

Greetings :slight_smile:

Unfortunately i can’t update the firmware of my ringo. I am struggling with this problem since i got it. Circuitblocks was always able to detect it, but stood still at 0% while updating.
This didn’t change. My tries on the Arduino IDE are always leading to this Error Report:

Arduino: 1.8.10 (Windows 10), Board: “Ringo by CircuitMess, Minimal SPIFFS (Large APPS with OTA), 80MHz, 921600, None”

esptool.py v2.6
Serial port COM3
Connecting……____Fehler beim Brennen des Bootloaders. (Error from burning the bootloaders.)

Sometimes it shows it doesn’t find a lot of headers, so much that i can’t post it in here.

The phone is not accesable with any input while the update is running. So somethings is defenitly happening. I hope my english isn’t too bad.

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely
Daniel

Hey Daniel!

Sorry for this issue, but we’ll get it sorted out!

I would firstly recommend updating the firmware over the phone. Go to Settings->About & Update->Check for Update.

Connect to the WiFi network and the newest update will be automatically downloaded.

Cheers,
Robert

Thanks for your answer :slight_smile:

I tried that in frist place but I can’t connect to my Wifi. It says wrong password though it is the correct one for sure.

Sincerely
Daniel

1 Like

Hey Daniel,

Can you maybe try to use a different WiFi and try to connect?

I believe this can be the issue of the first firmware that had some connectivity issues and that everything will work well after the update.

Try to change the network and repeat the process, then contact me back.

Thanks!
Cheers,
Robert

Dear Robert,

Connectd succesfully to another network. It shows downloading and installing firmware and then boots up properly. But in the Update menu it still shows Firmware 0.9.9. Tried it twice. Also it doesn’t recognize my SIM card anymore :frowning:

Sincerely
Daniel

Hey Daniel,

Well, this definitely doesn’t look good.
It could possibly be that the brain board has malfunctioned, but we’re going to test everything before going with the potential repair.

Here is a little trick that might do the work. Connect it to your computer and go to the Burn bootloader. When it starts uploading, press the reset button, even several times if needed. Try the process a couple of times if you don’t manage to do it from the first try.

Also, one important question - did you download the Ringo library in the Arduino IDE?
That would explain all of the missing headers and stuff. For everything to work properly both in Arduino and CircuitBlocks you must have Ringo library (Step 12 in the Tutorial).

Try that and we’ll go from there.

Thanks!
Robert

Dear Robert,

the little trick did its job. After several times pressing the reset button, I was able to update finally. Thanks a lot for your quick and good answers :slight_smile:

The SIM module still stopped working. I will check the solder points.

Sincerely
Daniel

Dear Robert,

I can’t find the problem. The module itself seems to work. It just can’t detect the SIM. I already tried another one. Of course this is a different problem. Should I start a new topic?

Sincerely
Daniel

Hey Daniel,

Great! Let’s go onto the next one now.

The module was working perfectly before?
What seems to be the problem now? Is the little “Loading” sign up there or what?
Where are you from and which version of the phone do you have, 2G or 4G?

Robert

Dear Robert,

sorry I was working quite a lot these days. The module was working perfectly before. In the setup it shows that the SIM-Module is also working, the phone just doesn’t recognize the SIM card anymore. I already tried another one. I have the 2g version.

Sincerely
Daniel

Hey Daniel,

The update doesn’t have anything with the SIM module, so that shouldn’t be the problem.

It could be one of these things:

• The SIM card is not properly inserted - it’s either the other way around or it’s not pressed enough. Sometimes, the SIM card can fall out of its little plastic frame that holds it and makes it just big enough for the Ringo. It can be just slightly moved and that might cause the phone not to read it correctly. I would advise to make sure you insert the card properly and press it with your finger a little bit more against the phone. Then restart the phone 1-2 times and the signal shoud be there.

• Sometimes just exiting the house or going to a place with a little better signal helps it get that connection, which will then hold a lot easier.

• Make sure that the antenna didn’t disconnect and that it’s fully pressed against the network module.

These are just some of the tricks that might work - try them and then get back to me so we can figure it out! :smiley:

Cheers,
Robert