Flash firmware to chatter 2.0

Can I get instructions for flashing firmware to the Chatter 2.0 after making some changes?

1 Like

Hey @pushpesh,

you can find the instructions here: Chatter 2.0 coding guide Ch 10 | CircuitMess.

Sincerely,
Monika

I meant to ask if I change firmware source code and flash it to the chatter 2 (not the restore in this case)

1 Like

Hey @pushpesh,

sorry for the late reply.

You can find the original firmware here: https://github.com/CircuitMess/Chatter2-Firmware/.

If you want to make changes to it, you must first download it and then change it as needed.
When you’re ready to compile your changes, open the Chatter2-Firmware.ino file in the Arduino IDE and select CircuitMess Chatter as your device.

After you do that, you should be able to compile and upload the change from Arduino IDE.

Best,
Monika

Hi, I downloaded rhe chatter 2 firmware from the link ( GitHub - CircuitMess/Chatter2-Firmware ) above and opened the “Chatter2-Firmware.ino” file in arduino ide and tried compile it, but I get errors saying that it can’t locate CircuitOS.h and some other .h files. I looked inside the folder structure from that firmware link above, but I dont see a “CircuitOS.h” file anywhere.

Are you sure this is the correct and complete firmware for the chatter 2? If so, where can i find the rest of the libraries?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hey @Nikguy,

If you want to change anything in firmware, download the latest board files in Arduino.

Here are the instructions on how to do this (under the subtitle “Manual”):

Best,
Monika

Ok thanks.

Though now it cant find “chatter2.h” any other files to include?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hey,

you can download the library from here: GitHub - CircuitMess/Chatter2-Library.

Unzip it in the folder Documents/Arduino/libraries/Chatter2-Library
(or if it’s on linux ~/Arduino/libraries/Chatter2-Library) so that all these files library.properties etc. are located there.

Best,
Monika

Hi Monika!

I went through the same steps, both manually unpacking the libraries for PlatformIO at first, and then the Arduino IDE route, but I’m running into other compile errors about std::round and similar math functions. I tried switching to the 1.5.1 version of the ESP32 libraries, since the CMakeLists.txt file makes reference to that version, but got issues about GLM not being available.

I also saw someone else say they had compile work fine under Linux; is there something in glm that would make it not compile properly under Windows in that regard? I can definitely set up the IDE in WSL2 if I need to go that route, or if using make is preferred for y’all typically for compiling that firmware.

@Kay_Ohtie hey, did you try coding your Chatter using CircuitBlocks:
https://code.circuitmess.com/

It’s the best/easiest way to start with coding and requires no installation.

I just wanted to add my voice here to say that I would love guidance on how to compile the Chatter 2.0 firmware in the Arduino IDE. I would be so excited to get to do that! I am presently disappointed and frustrated. I don’t want to use CircuitBlocks as I am otherwise an experienced software engineer, but new to embedded development.

1 Like

Hi @mahesh,

You must first download the Arduino IDE and then install our Arduino according to the instructions below:

The code for Chatter 2.0 can be found here: GitHub - CircuitMess/Chatter2-Firmware

Select CircuitMess Chatter 2 from the Tools > Board menu in the Arduino IDE.

You can now compile and upload firmware sketches.

We appear to have missed uploading Chatter 2 to the platform, but our software team will do so within the next day.

Thank you for your understanding,
Monika

Update: Chatter 2 is added; you can code it now.

Thanks, it works really well, the whole procedure from zero to uploaded firmware was finished in 15 minutes! Good job! Only wish to code in C++ better :slight_smile:

Hey @HANAX,

thank you for letting us know! We’re glad to hear that you were able to do it :slight_smile:

Best,
Sandi

After playing around with the Chatter for sometime, I finally figured out how to compile and upload using Windows 11. Created some steps so others could give this a try if interested:

Hey @T_Rogers ,

well done for making it work, and thank you for letting us know :slight_smile:

Best,
Sandi