Getting Ringo Working In Japan

I have 6 Ringo Units. I have build 3. My motivation is to give my daughter a full maker experience. She put 2 months of time after school to diligently build the unit with my help but only she touched the phone. I setup her work station. She soldered over 40 leds to a test board with over 80 individual connections as practice before starting on her phone. She completed the whole phone before her 7th birthday. To be honest she cooked a few joints and the whole phone was pretty sketchy. One of the components was already broken off the board before we started. The phone worked however except the sound didn’t work but she did it. We could not get the phone to connect to a network. I initially assumed it was the poor build. I went to work and built an immaculate new phone with as close to perfect soldering as I can. This phone also wouldn’t connect to a network. I discovered this community and here I learn that the 2G SIM is unsupported in Japan. I went on to order new Network units to try. Since January I have tried SIM800C, SIM7600A, SIM7600NA-H, and SIM7600G-H. I have an amazing 5dbi antenna which connect directly to the SIMS but so far nothing has worked. My last ditch effort is to order the SIM7600JC-H. I am desperate to get the Ringo to work for my daughter. If anyone out there knows a way to get this phone to make calls or some app to use the network card or something I have a budget of $1000USD to get this working. I could be convinced to go higher. My daughter having a positive experience from this means everything to me. Thanks & Regards Beau

1 Like

Hey @Beau,

we are so sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately, SIM7600 modules are not being manufactured anymore. Also, this won’t support a 2G network.

We are very sorry about this situation and would like to offer you a discount code for 25% discount code on our STEM Box or Wacky Robots subscription.
The code: beau25.

Sincerely,
Monika

Hey Monika,
Thank you for the offer. I appreciate the help. I have found a supplier for the SIM7600JC-H unit. I am slightly obsessed with getting this phone to work. I understand that the software developed for the Ringo may not support the SIM7600JC-H. Are there any developers you could refer me to who would be capable of working on new software? Is there anyone on the Circuitmess development team interested in tackling this project? I can run this project through upwork.com or finance the development directly.

1 Like

Hey Beau,

thank you for the question.

Unfortunately, we don’t have the resources right now to work on developing Ringo’s software right now. We are very busy developing Batmobile.

However, we wish you all the luck and are available for any questions you might have.

Sincerely,
Monika