Help with Hello World!

I tried a lot without success to get something printed on the Ringo screen and this is the simplest variant:

I can’t get the screen to display anything using CircuitBlocks, the screen turns black momentarily while uploading and then turns white. Screen is OK with every other app (phone, contacts, games)

Any idea?

Regards
Tom

I encountered the same issue programming for Nibble.
You need to set font type, size and color before you can print anything on the screen.

Seems like a common issue. A possible solution for it would be to auto place
default values in the setup routine first time print is used.
That would educate users that that code is needed.

Or edit library that it uses default values if those are not previously defined, which is expected behavior.

Thanks! I reduced the code a bit but I also tried - in vain - all options of course, e.g.:

I can’t see anything missing here, but maybe I’m blind …!-) It is a real pity that all of the sample apps (e.g. https://circuitmess.com/resources/creations/77) don’t have a single line of code included. That would be very helpful.

One thing missing still, you need to commit changes to screen :smiley:

“display->commit();” or “draw sprite to display” in CircuitBlocks.

1 Like

Thanks - but I guess I AM blind: I cannot see any block under the Display section that looks like “Display–>Commit”. The corresponding code is read-only, so you surely do not propose to make edits there …? Just tell me which of the blocks above is wrong and which block should I insert where…

Sorry I don’t use CircuitBlocks much but something along the lines of “draw sprite to display” should be available.
You should put that block as the last one to actually draw what you want to screen.

display->commit(); is raw code of that block, yes

Nope, nothing that comes close, there are some blocks to draw shapes but nothing that translates to display->commit()

Wondering why there should be an extra kick in the a… required after such a sequence of instructions:
void loop() {
mp.update();

mp.display.fillScreen(TFT_WHITE);
mp.display.setTextFont(1);
mp.display.setTextSize(1);
mp.display.setTextColor(TFT_BLACK);
mp.display.drawString(“Now it’s time to change”, 10, 32);
mp.display.setTextColor(TFT_RED);
mp.display.drawString(“colors…”, 10, 48);
mp.display.setTextFont(2);
mp.display.drawString(“And font!”, 10, 56);
mp.display.setTextSize(2);
mp.display.drawString(“And SIZE!”, 10, 70);

Problem should be easily solved by being able to look a the blocks of a simple existing program that writes something to the display

This is how it looks like on a Nibble project.

It seems like that crucial block is missing in Ringo projects.
I couldn’t find it either…

AFAIK same LCD library is used so there is no reason for removal of that block.
It’s probably an oversight…