How to build the firmware.bin file

After reflashing the RINGO using the flash function of the circuitsblock the RINGO does not show the caller number any more.

I have received 3 phone calls and the RINGO shows the following . Call 1
(+CLCC: 1,1,4,0,0) Call2 (Hhi1 1,1,4,0,0) , Call 3 (hi1 1,1,4,0,0)

Maybe the flash firmware of the Circuitsblock has older firmware ???

Itā€™s entirely possible - that issue is an old one that I sent a fix for to CircuitMess (variations in the format of incoming call phone numbers). See what firmware version is being reported in the ā€œAbout & updateā€ settings screen. The latest is 1.0.5. If itā€™s not 1.0.5, you can use ā€œCheck for updateā€ to bring it up to 1.0.5, then see if you have the same problem. I have not seen that problem for a while.

Yiep You are right.

its a old firmware 1.0.2 . The phone update its not working. It is say No Updates.

I will flash the new firmware with esptool. Now i know the way :yum:

Well, I donā€™t have the time to get quite that collabrative! What I propose is that before posting a fresh topic on this, we continue this discussion here under this topic; I will post my first draft as an attachment to this message and TWM and Petros can see what is unclear or incorrect and let me know. Likewise for any draft that Petros produces. In the end, weā€™ll converge on a good set of instructions, Iā€™m sure.

I started with a Windows machine (not doing MacOS or Linux, sorry) that knew nothing about Ringo at all, and ended up with one that could build and flash a custom firmware.bin.

If you were expecting a full-blown tutorial with pictures (screenshots) and all that, or a YouTube video, I donā€™t plan to get that sophisticated. Someone else can take that on if they want.

Anyway, here is my first draft of the full instruction list, start to finish, that TWM asked for: Build Custom Ringo Firmware.zip (44.4 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks, Frank. Iā€™ve been a little busy this week, but should have some time tonight or this weekend to give it a try. Iā€™ll let you know how it goes!

All ok :+1: I have followed your guide step by step and it worked perfect.

The only change that i have done is to the bat file i removed the ā€œpython .ā€ from the start and the ā€œpauseā€ from the end because the command shown error.

Thank you Frank

Tested and confirmed working great for me, too. I have but one note, along the same line as what @Petros mentioned: If you install python with all the options you specify, the command to call upon python in the flash.bat file should technically be called as py .\esptool.py ā€¦ or allow file associations to take over and just call to .\esptool.py ā€¦ directly. Making this one small modification was all that I needed to flash flawlessly. My barely modified test v99.0.6 was flashed and booted successfully.

Technically, the file association for .py files added by the chosen options in the python installer should negate the need for explicitly calling py but thereā€™s no harm in calling it, as some Windows installations will still screw up the association in a Command Prompt (cmd).

That said, spare the batch python invocation, which may vary for others (maybe note that if python .\ā€¦ fails, try py .\ā€¦ or just .\esptool.pyā€¦ instead), this was simple and to the point. Exactly what I was hoping to see. I vote that you fire up a new topic and write it up, @frankprindle! Then @robertCM can unpin this one and pin the new oneā€¦just include a link-back in the new topic to this one for discussion. Then maybe Robert can lock the pinned tutorial thread to keep it clean and leave this one open (maybe edit Title to add (discussion) while heā€™s at it) so we can answer questions.

1 Like

Sounds good to me!

Great work @frankprindle btw, you guys all rock! :sunglasses:

Robert

2 Likes

Here is draft 2 of my instructions with the py issue addressed: Build Custom Ringo Firmware Draft 2.zip (47.1 KB)

3 Likes

Excellent! I think itā€™s great as it is now. Let @robertCM know as soon as you get it posted so he can lock it while itā€™s still pristine. haha

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure I see any reason to lock it. He can still pin it if he wants, but there is no reason there couldnā€™t be discussion after the main post, since any modifications/improvements over time would be incorporated into the zip file that will remain in the first post.

TWMā€¦ done and done.

1 Like

I figured we could use this thread for discussion and keep the other new thread as a pinned comment-less tutorial post. That said, this is #NotMyCircus (Or, should I say, #NotMyCircuitMess :rofl:) Yā€™all can do it however you want. :man_shrugging:

Ok, Robertā€™s got it all set up and I redirected any discussion on the subject from that topic back to this one.

2 Likes

Yesterday 30/07/2021 by CircuitBlocks I did Restore OS and I am uploading version 1.0.2 there is already version 1.0.5 for which I can not upload version 10.0.5? Iā€™m trying to update directly from the phone and there is a message that the OS is up to date and I can not update to version 1.0.5 , why?

yes, I did a system restore in ringo and I got 1.0.2 and with an error because it shows some strange characters in incoming connections instead of the callerā€™s number

I donā€™t have the phone but those look like AT commands for the SIM module.
Maybe SIM module debug option is turned on?

i just did a system restore and previously i had 1.0.5 and now it has uploaded 1.0.2. in version 1.0.5 there were no ringing bugs and in version 1.0.2 there is just such a bug.
System Restore reverts system max to version 1.0.2

@PostScriptum sorry for the slow reply here.

This was indeed an issue from our end, weā€™ve forgotten to update the firmware to the latest release.

Weā€™ve pushed a fix now so the next time you open circuitblocks, it should automatically update. Press the restore firmware button after that and the latest version of the firmware will be loaded.

Thank you