Nibble firmware - how to build it from source code?

Hi CircuitMess staff! First to say - I’m loving Nibble! My 10 year old daughter soldered and assembled it (with very little help), she started making her own “games” in CircuitBlocks and now she would like to upload it to Nibble together with existing games. I’ve seen that you plan to add this feature to CircuitBlocks and that is great.

Another way to do it would be to modify Nibble firmware. My daughter is too inexperienced for that - but I am a little bit more experienced dev :slight_smile: And I want to have fun with Nibble, too. So, do you plan to release the source code for Nibble firmware and instructions on how to build the firmware from the source code? I’ve seen you’ve done it for Ringo, it would be cool to do it for Nibble. I’ve seen on github that you’ve released the Nibble-Launcher source code. What else is needed to build the firmware: CircuitOS? Something else? Any help would be appreciated.

3 Likes

you can compile it to a .bin and put it on the sd card

?? there is no sd card slot on nibble (there was one on makerbuino)

then try compiling it to the nibble

Hello! Sorry for not replying earlier, we’ve had our hands full for the past few months releasing our first STEM box device.

Adding new games to the Nibble launcher is currently a bit tricky, as during the last few days before shipping Nibble we were still fixing some issues, which resulted in some spaghetti code being produced. Other than that, some knowledge of CircuitOS which isn’t really sufficiently documented would be required. In about a months time, when our workload decreases a bit, we’ll fix our tech debt and will release a tutorial on how to add your own games to the launcher.

In the meantime, if you’re eager, you can clone the Nibble-Launcher repo and look up how other games are added to it, maybe you can figure out how to add new games yourself before we clean it up. The Nibble programming library, CircuitOS, and all the other required libraries got automatically installed when you first started CircuitBlocks, so you don’t need to worry about that.

Let me know if I can be of any more assistance :slight_smile:
Filip

1 Like