Problem with SIM

Is it possible for me to upgrade to 4G? What is involved besides having a 4G module?

2 Likes

Yes, it’s possible, although with some complications because you’ve already soldered the phone. :confused:

4G module and a new main board (it has several more components that makes 4G work as it should) are necessary, but since everything you’ve got is already connected to the 2G main board, you would either have to de-solder them all, which is really time-consuming and requires high soldering skill and it can damage some of the components permanently, or get all major components again.

If you’re good at soldering and think you can do it, we can go for option number 1, but if not, I think that the option 2 is the only way.

DM me for the details so we can continue our discussion about it there, I’ll help you in any way I can! :slight_smile:

Robert

Wow. Simply going outside got enough reception so I could make the first call to activate it with Ting. That’s pretty pathetic, T-Mobile!

1 Like

In case it’s too cold outside, I found that I could sometimes get it to work inside by holding the phone with its back to a window pane.

1 Like

@RussNelson Glad it works!
Are you getting any reception now inside or not?

@frankprindle
Those little life hacks really help sometimes. :sweat_smile:

Still no reception inside. I guess it’s an outdoor phone!

Well, at least it forces you to go outside. :smile:

Is this going to be too much trouble for you?

Robert

It’s a portable phone. It’s supposed to be portable, isn’t it? I can run it off batteries, at least for a while.

Turns out that it works in the front room of the house, and sometimes from my office.

Wow, we’re getting somewhere!

So the 2G signal DOES work inside (well, sometimes).

Maybe T-Mobile isn’t that bad after all… :thinking:

1 Like

I actually haven’t assembled my phone yet, so is it still possible to get the 4G ugrade (for additional cost)?

1 Like

If I understand the issue correctly, you’ll need a 4G module and a new motherboard and a few extra components.

1 Like

Just the network module and mainboard. No other modules, I did it. The answer, order and shipping was super kind & fast!!

2 Likes

Glad to see everything working! :smiley:

We’ve already resolved this issue with mirv in the DMs some time ago, but still thanks for the update!

Robert

2 Likes

Yes! Thank you so much. I received the 4G module, assembled my phone, and it works!!!

1 Like