Ringo Freezes upon loading any apps

The title really says it all. After a bit of general messing around (uploading some basic scripts thru the arduino IDE then restoring firmware) I cannot get the Ringo to load any extra apps on the SD card anymore.
To describe the issue in detail:
1: I power on the ringo and go to the app menu.
2: I open the app. The seriffed font says ā€œLOADINGā€
3: The phone seems to reboot and gets stuck on the CircuitMess Ringo Loadingā€¦ screen
4: even after a reset the phone stays stuck on this last screen, it does show the little scrolling down animation, but stays stuck after that.
Note that they did work upon initial power-up. Any help would be great.

-foorjee

Hi @foorjee,

thank you for reaching out! :slight_smile:

You should install Circuitblocks, and restore firmware on your Ringo.

Please let me know if that helped your Ringo.

Sincerely,
Monika from CircuitMess

I probably shouldā€™ve added this but to get out of the freeze-state I have done that. However even after a reflash other apps still freeze, only the on-board ones work (so not snake etc but phone etc do work)

1 Like

I have found another issue too. Whenever I plug the ringo into my PC the screen freezes up, it still seems to respond fully otherwise (all inputs work). To get out of it I restart the ringo with the shutdown button.
Iā€™ve checked all the pins for bridges and or dry solder joints etc but even after reflowing a few pins I have seen no difference.

1 Like

Hi @foorjee,

thank you for your reply! :slight_smile:

Please send me the photos of the front and the back of your Ringo without the casing so we can check where the issue is.

Please send them to contact@circuitmess.com.

Sincerely,
Monika

Hey @foorjee ,

Did you manage to fix your Ringo?

Iā€™m having exact same issues here.

Hi Folks,

Iā€™m having the same issue here!

Seems to have been when I updated firmware from 1.0.5 (which it came with) to 1.0.6. I initially used platformio to upload the new firmware, then circuitblocks, but same result with each.
Canā€™t see anything wrong with the soldering. Worked like a watch before!

Hereā€™s the terminal output when trying to run pong (same for all apps on SD card):

/Pong/Pong.bin
Try to start update
Written : 1015248 successfully
OTA done!
Update successfully completed. Rebooting.
ets Jun 8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0xc (SW_CPU_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:DIO, clock div:2
load:0x3fff0018,len:4
load:0x3fff001c,len:1044
load:0x40078000,len:10124
load:0x40080400,len:5828
entry 0x400806a8
Calibrated!
offset: 1897
[E][esp32-hal-i2c.c:1426] i2cCheckLineState(): Bus Invalid State, TwoWire() Canā€™t init sda=0, scl=0
SD interrupt error: 0
Read sim value: 0

at printed

at printed

Loops ā€˜at printedā€™ forever!

Any help would be much appreciated as Iā€™m keen to start playing with the code and getting back into Space Invaders!

Cheers,
Jimi

1 Like

Hi Jimi,

Thank you for reaching out.

Sorry to hear youā€™re having some problems with Ringo.

Can you send us a few photos of the device (back and front) without the casings at contact@circuitmess.com?

Also, can you restore firmware, or are you unable to do so now?

Sincerely,
Monika from CircuitMess

Hi Monika,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have sent the photos across as requested.

I can restore the firmware using circuitblocks, however it does not fix the problem. Still reads version 1.0.6, which is where the problems started, rather than to 1.0.5, which it came with, and worked!

Thanks again for your help

Cheers,
Jimi

1 Like

Hi Jimi,

thank you for sending the photos.

Iā€™ve replied to your email.

Sincerely,
Monika

1 Like

Hi Monika,
Well it took me a little while to get around to it, but I have sorted out the more globulous soldering, Canā€™t see any cold joints or the like. However I am still having the same issue as before. I know I am not the neatest solderer going, but the job I did worked fine for weeks before I updated the firmware.
Any other help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Jimi

P.S. I have also sent this via email.

1 Like

Hey Jimi,

thank you for your reply.

I checked the email and replied there already.

Weā€™ll solve this issue! :slight_smile:

Sincerely,
Monika

Hey Jimi,

Itā€™s been forever since I actually had the time to look at my ringo. Iā€™m still having the same issue. Have you figured out how to resolve it yet? Would be greatly appreciated!
Edit: for some strange reason itā€™s decided to work for me now as well. Thatā€™sā€¦ good! IDK what was wrong.

Thanks!
Foorjee

Hi Foorjee,

Iā€™m in the same situation! The old Ringo gets picked up and played with a bit then back into the pile of other projects!

Still no progress Iā€™m afraid. Perhaps if we put our heads together we can sort it out?

Letā€™s compare notes and then hassle Circuitmess! Do you know what firmware version you are running on there?
If so, did you use platformio compile and upload? Iā€™ve got the console readouts from mine, which might be worth comparing.

I can walk you through anything youā€™re not sure about with using platformio. It would be good to get space invaders working on the Ringos, and annoying the people on the train with the ridiculous lights!

Give me a shout when you can and weā€™ll work this out between us!

Cheers,
Jimi