The MAKERwatch, beta testers wanted!

Hey folks, check out this new watch kit I’ve designed.
No, I’m not goofing around while you’re waiting for your kits, I’ve started this project 6 months ago but had to finish and manufacture it now because 120 kids at a summer maker camp in Croatia are going to solder this watch.

What do you think about it? Can I improve it’s hardware? Are you willing to pay 30€ for this thing? Are you interested in some beta testing?

8 Likes

Very good idea, :slight_smile: The price could be slightly lower if possible (25)
I’m interested in testing this watch.

1 Like

Very nice! It looks a bit clunky though for wearing on my wrist so I’d probably put it on my desk or use it as a kitchen timer or something like that (some sort of foot that could be used instead of the wrist band would be nice). 30€ are probably ok - I guess you have done all the calculations to cover the parts and your work for developing the kit etc. I’d definitely be interested in beta testing! I wish there would have been such cool maker summer camps when I was a kid! I can’t wait to build all those cool things with my nephew as soon as he’s old enough (he is however already fascinated by the clicking sound of my MAKERbuino buttons :wink: )

1 Like

Didos on the previous comments and I would be interested in being a beta tester also. Keep us posted. Would be cool if it could pair with the Makerbuino displaying score or status in game, maybe haptic feedback from game, just random ideas.

1 Like

Wow, pretty cool (and nerdy :slight_smile: ) project. Looks like fun. Think, that it is absolutley worth 30 Euro if you compare it with other soldering kit in the electronic shops here in germany like conrad.de.

1 Like

I wonder what kind of fun things we can do with 4 digits, a buzzer and 3 buttons. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very nice,
But would have to agree with ‘escamillo’ about being clunky for the wrist…
I’d be willing to test this watch and have it around…

not sure about the cost, as i have no idea about the expenses involved - but €30 sounds reasonable, of course anything lower than that would be even better :grinning:

cheers

1 Like

I’ve thought about buying this kit before: http://www.watterott.com/de/SolderTime-Watch-Kit
I wouldn’t want to wear this one or yours, because they are both to big for my little wrist. But I think it would make for a pretty geeky, cool looking clock on my desk. At first I thought 30€ is a bit much compared to the MAKERbuino, but with the additional buttons and the buzzer the price seems very reasonable compared to other soldering kits.
I would take one :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some toughts about additional features.

Lisamith’s idea in using the watch a desk-clock is pretty cool (and probably more usable usecase than the use as a watch). To use it like this it would be great if the watch could get it energy via usb and/or could be activated with a motion sensor.

First consideration.
If the watch is getting it’s power via USB connection, the display is always on. If there is no power via USB, the display goes off, but the clock keeps the time over the battery.

Second consideration:
If this is not possible, the clock would need a short range movement sensor, since you would otherwise have to take the clock in your hand each time, you want to display the time because you have to press a button on the clock.

1 Like

I wouldn’t use it as a watch, but a desk clock would be cool. Will it have an alarm you can set?

1 Like

OMG!!! it’s beautiful :heart_eyes:
I can’t beta test due im not programmer, but, definitely want one!. I’ll change the speaker and put a buzzer :grin:
30$ is an affordable price, the problem is the shipping cost, but, for me it’s ok!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that is a buzzer

1 Like

haha sorry, language barrier and google translator… i meant “vibrator” :innocent:

1 Like

Oh. That is a good idea.

Would love to be a beta tester!! Please include me! I will gladly pay for kit and shipping to USA.

1 Like

Nice! Love your designs! :slight_smile:

In terms of price, I see it a little bit high, comparing to MAKERbuino, taking into account what it is and what it is capable of doing. I would be a happy beta tester though :wink:

1 Like

Yeah it’s a little big and clunky, but I’d pay 30 for it… would be fun to build and wear, just not through an airport security checkpoint :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I would definitely use it, but I think it’s way too big for my wrist. If it is possible to make one a little bit smaller, I would definitely use it. Not only because i made it with my own hands, also because it’s a nice design.

1 Like

Would definitely be into that!

1 Like

Be careful with those 4-digit 7-segment displays - they don’t show up very well in bright light!

Price is too high and it’s chunky (obviously given the components), but I’d be happy to test for you. I may even be able to assist with diagnosis!

1 Like