USB MicroB connector - the case continues

So I’m not the first one to bring this up, but after my Ringo port broke off, it’s sat with me.
It’s considered rare and unusual, but it’s actually not uncommon. I can’t say I’m scarred for life over what happened.
I’ve been working with my PocketCHIP, which turns out to be a fairly documented, and bloated version of Ringo. However, PoC is no longer supported by the ex company. It’s very hackable. There’s a fair amount of storage and power. The battery is a standard JST Lion. Just like Ringo, it can be replaced. That’s why it was worth my revival of the system.
So I

broke out
my PocketCHIP (no pun intended) for some much needed repairs. I’ve updated and hacked up the software. Now it’s ready for some of my projects. I have 2 robots and 2 sensor projects that could definitely benefit from this very portable computer.

Once I began reading some not so useful tips, I noticed the point of this topic.
The PocketCHIP runs a CHIP which has a MicroB port. Guess what other product has serious issues with their MicroB port? CHIP.

So Ringo might not spur a lot of discussion because it’s obvious to some. I’ve never had a USB port brake off in my life before Ringo. Another interesting fact is that I have never broken any of the 6 phone screens on the phones I have owned in my life. A did buy a chinese HDMI resistive for my Pi3 once that broke apart. The problem with those screens is that they are clamped together. The best thing to do when you buy chinese by design is to cover-glue anything you think is unstable so it doesn’t brake/break(samething) off.

Here’s the link to the PocketCHIP hacks tutorial

Important PoC things

Blockquote
and
When charging, be careful when plugging and unplugging the micro USB plug. On some units the connector on the CHIP isn’t soldered properly and may just get ripped off.

I’m was also a fan of Nextthing co.
I was really sad when they went bankrupt.

About the micro usb port - choosing the right connector and adjusting the PCB footprint is harder than you’d think. There are a lot of really bad Micro USB connectors out there that can give you lots of headaches.

The connector we have right now on the Ringo phone is ok, but it could be better. We’ve found a better connector that we hope to implement in a new hardware revision this year

2 Likes

I’d be excited to see any other port. Even two would be nice or a JSTH i2c. DFrobot(China) uses JSTH on everything. Those older standards are nice and reliable. It’s a good deal when you can throw your $40 Makeblock Orion out your window knowing the RJ25s will still be there.

I’d say the best test we can have for the MicroB is to drop test…get out some memory foam for the Ringoboard prior to installation maybe.