Wheelson Handheld Remote Control

Hi, I am new to all this STEM stuff and I am learning a lot from these kits. I built Wheelson and I am having fun with it. I would like to extend it by removing the buttons and display to a remote handheld device. I’m pretty confident I can do it, I just don’t know where to start. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Tom

Hi Tom,

Thank you for supporting our work and congrats on a successful build.

I’d suggest buying a new screen and buttons and using them on your custom build since Wheelson won’t be able to work without them

Hi, that’s a perfect idea as I can keep it together and extend it by having a remote. At least that’s my goal. I do have a new screen and I am waiting on the new 6 button rx/tx buttons to arrive.

Now, aside from wheelson, I understand how to setup and use the rx/tx modules to control motors. What I don’t understand is how to tie that in with Wheelson. Can you give me some guidance with that? I’ve spent many years programming so I can cover the code part, I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Now where I’m totally lost is how to get the video from Wheelson to my new (2nd screen) on the remote device. How would I design and build the remote device?

Thanks,
Tom

1 Like

Hi Tom,

I suggest you wait for ByteBoi to be released, that will happen sometimes this month.
Byteboi natively supports Wheelson’s remote control and we’ll publish the code on our github once it’s finished.
The best way to start is by looking into its code and porting it to your remote control device

1 Like

I’m still missing something here! I can read code all day long but it still won’t tell me how to wirelessly send the image to my tftlcd for arduino uno. There’s a piece in the middle that I don’t understand.

This is a learning opportunity for us and I don’t want you to give us the answer but I am against a brick wall and I do not know how to move forward. We’ve hacked it up so that we can control the motors remotely but that removes all of the “brains” of wheelson. I’m trying to extend what we have learned so far and have the video transmitted to our remote device. I’m sure I’m missing a piece of hardware, please help me get on the right track.

Thanks,
Tom

My suggestion is to wait for the byteboi to be released and then take a look at its code