Why might contacts and call log be deleted?

I just flashed a new firmware.bin, and for the first time since I’ve been doing that (and I’ve done it many times), my contacts and call log were empty afterwards. As I understand it, those are stored on the SD card and should have survived a re-flash. Has anybody seen that happen?

1 Like

When I took out the SD card and looked at it on a computer, I found that all the original filenames in .core had been corrupted. New (empty) ones had been created for alarms.json, call_log.json, contacts.json, and settings.json. I’m going to re-format the card with the SD Association’s SD card formatter, and re-copy the contents from the GitHub. I’ll keep an eye on this, because the card’s become corrupted in the past. If it happens again, I’ll declare the card defective and find another to put in its place.

1 Like

We do not know why this happend and cannot recreate it.

Please reflash your card as you said and if the issues persist, we’ll send you a new micro SD card

Thanks

1 Like

Yes, just to be completely diligent, I overwrite-formatted (not quick-formatted) the card with the SD Association’s SD card formatter version 5.0.1, and tested all 3831 MBytes with h2testw version 1.4. Then re-wrote virgin files from the master CircuitMess-Ringo-SD-package on GitHub.

I’ll keep an eye out for corruption. If it happens again, I’ll swap in another SD card to see if it’s an SD card problem or a firmware problem. No need to send me a new one.

1 Like

Ok, thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, my contacts and call log disappeared again, so I swapped in a new SD card and we’ll see what happens. Incidentally, the largest SD card supported is not 16GB, it’s 32GB because that’s the largest card that can be formatted FAT32. I’m using a 32GB card now and it works fine, and hopefully the contacts/call log won’t disappear again.

1 Like

Okay,
Update us on how that goes. :slight_smile:
Robert

The SD card I replaced the 4 GB card with has been stable for nearly a week; the original 4 GB SD card was always corrupted within a day or two; Into the trash. Case closed.

1 Like

Glad this worked itself out! :slight_smile:

Robert