Anarch (Doom-like FPS)

Hello,

This is a Nibble port of my portable raycasting shooter Anarch which by now is also ported to Ringo. This game is completely public domain free software under CC0, you can do absolutely anything with it without any conditions.

I just got Nibble today and it worked pretty great so It was very simple to port this, I only had to write a < 150 LOC frontend. I have brightened the palette up a bit because it looked kinda dark on the Nibble display – you can change this with a define in the source (you can change basically anything, feel free to search the code). FPS is set to 35.

As ESP8266 doesn’t have a proper EEPROM but only flash-emulated one (AFAIK), the game save files would cause collisions with other games’ saves, so this is a version that has all levels playable from the start.

Sounds are in the traditional form of beeps – if someone knows of a way to play waveforms from RAM, this can be improved to play proper sounds and music as the game includes its own 8-bit samples.

Here are the links:

(more info on compiling and uploading can be found in Nibble Sokoban thread)

Controls:

• arrows: move
  • A: shoot
  • B: hold for strafing
  • C +:
    • A/B/left/right: switch weapons
    • up: jump
    • down: menu

Enjoy and thanks to CM for this nice piece of hardware!

11 Likes

This is very cool. I can’t wait to try it out :grinning:

This is rad! Looks great.

This is great! I need a little magnifier sheet to go over the Nibble screen, I think! :slight_smile:

FWIW, on Linux (Raspberry Pi), I flashed it using this command - mentioning this since the Sokoban info only covers Windows.

esptool.py --port /dev/ttyUSB0 write_flash 0x0 Anarch_nibble_1-02.bin

2 Likes

Very nice, we need more of this stuff.

1 Like

Hey there @drummyfish thank you so much for sharing this! We’ll also post this on our social networks! Thanks again, it’s so cool!

Dora from CM

1 Like

1 question? How. That’s incredible! wish I could make something like that.

just wondering if someone can copy and paste Arduino code (i dont have IDE as on a Chromebook)

Nice! I enjoy seeing the community creating/sharing content. This makes me want to splurge on a Ringo kit.

2 Likes

Help me!!
how do i upload
plz

I do it with the Arduino IDE. With it you can compile it and upload it.

You need to set it up first. I can’t find exact instructions for this anywhere now, but it’s similar to setting up any other board. Basically download Arduino IDE, open it, open library manager, install the Nibble library, open board manager, install Nibble board, then choose the correct board somewhere under settings.

Then you download the game’s source code (link in main post), then you create a new Arduino sketch (just create a folder named e.g. anarch), then copy all .h source files into that folder plus the file name main_nibble.ino – you need to rename this to match the folder, i.e. rename to anarch.ino. Then you simply open this sketch (folder) in Arduino IDE, connect Nibble via USB, select the port under settings, click compile & upload and that’s it.

It’s also possible to upload the compiled bin (provided in the main post) right away without compiling the source but that depends on your OS etc.

I’ll try to find the exact instructions for setting up the IDE.

2 Likes

It’s asking me for the Nibble.h file… was that included?

I cannot install it can sombody tell me how?

The fastest way would be to flash compiled binary using something like GitHub - nodemcu/nodemcu-flasher: A firmware Flash tool for nodemcu

I can’t find a way to upload it could you make a short video?

i am trying to port the original Doom(1993) 0ver by using an emulator and some python intergration but i am finding it quite challenging, any tips?