Dusty - total failure

Hello,

yesterday we built Dusty – and it shows no signs of life at all: no LED comes on, neither of the motors react to light. Adjusting the variable resistors has no effect.
Suspecting a common root cause blocking both sides, I took out a multi-meter and measured ~4.8 V at the connector and at the switch, so it’s not that the board is not getting any power.

Any ideas how to proceed? I’d like to guide my son through this, to teach him that a failure is not a reason to give up, but rather something one can look at as a puzzle and learn from it.

Thanks,
Kofa / István

1 Like

Hey @kofa,

sorry to hear your Dusty isn’t working.

Please send us a few photos of all the soldering joints to contact@circuitmess.com and we’ll assist you.

Best,
Monika

Hi,

On all previous builds, we went over the joints with a +10D magnifying glass, but didn’t do it this time. As I photographed the joints and my son did the inspection with the magnifier, we spotted a few that don’t look good, including a potential short-circuit at the switch, which would explain everything.

We’ll check it over the weekend and I’ll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Kofa

1 Like

Okay, please feel free to contact me if you need any help.

-Monika

Hello,

sorry about the long delay. I’ve uploaded the photos at the link you’ll find below; you should be able to see them in relatively high resolution (I’m not a macro photographer, though). I’ll email them to you as well.

Thanks,
István

1 Like

Hey Istvan,

thank you for your reply.

I’ve sent you an email. :slight_smile:

Best,
Monika

We managed to get Dusty up and running (away from the light, due to mis-wiring :smile: ). Thanks for the help! (We’ll fix the wiring later.)

1 Like

Haha :slight_smile:

Let us know if you need any further assistance :slight_smile: