Makerbuino SD Card Makes the Unit Reset [SOLVED]

Hello! I have assembled everything in the kit as per the instructions. Everything up until the checkup wizard is great and working. However, when I put the microSD card in the SD card adapter and placed it all in the SD card holder, pressing C will only make it show “Flashing Bootloader” for a short time before going back to the screen going to the settings. No matter how many times I press C, it show “Flashing Bootloader” for a short time before going back to the screen going to the settings. if I hold C, it will show “Flashing Bootloader”, then go blank.

I troubleshooted this to the point that I tweaked the “Interface” option to show the main menu to the value of “3” instead of “255”. If I remove the microSD card, everything stays the same way. When I put the microSD card on with the same settings in “Interface”, it keeps resetting, as in it will loop back to the main menu then to the settings, then back to the main menu and back to the settings, and so on… Please help!

Have you tried cleaning the contacts of the SD-Card?
You could also try to recopy the contents of the SD-Card. Maybe there’s a faulty file. You can find the content of the SD-Card at the Software section of the MAKERbuino Learn page :slight_smile:

Hi Bl4ckM4ch1n3! I tried cleaning the contacts of the micro SD card to no avail. :frowning: I also tried downloading the games from the page you showed me, but that also didn’t work. :frowning: Here are some pictures of my unit.

I even took a video for a better look at the problem after I did what you said. Here is the link: https://youtu.be/N_yWDNif0kI

Most of the video shows will show me what I did to the makerbuino to get to that problem. By the way, the problem starts at 3:40.

I even formatted the SD card, and the same thing happened still. I can’t wait to get this up and running :frowning:

I am unsure hotplugging the sdcard is a good thing to do. But I don’t see how it can produce this bug. Maybe you should ask the Gamebuino guys.

@Tom Where can I ask them? I see that thry are developing the same thing as you guys do. Will they answer if it is Makerbuino related and not Gamebuino related?

Also, a little more fiddlng caused the screen to go all white only :frowning:

Makerbuino uses the Gamebuino software. If your problem is a software issue, I bet you will have a better chance getting help there. https://gamebuino.com/community

People can still discuss hardware issues here or other ideas here.

Charles,
I did not see this problem before and it is most likely caused by a defective SD card.

I don’t see how the Gamebuino forum can help you here.
If you have a card that is 2gb or less, use it and tell me what happened.
If you do not have the card, send me your address via PM.

Thank you!

@albertgajsak I would want to test it with different SD cards, but now my problem is that the screen is now only white. I can control the LEDs but it is now no longer showing the Gamebuino menu. :frowning: I tried doing the hard reset but it is no longer working :frowning:

The funny thing was that it worked before, but it is now not working. I even tried swapping microSDs and this did not change. I even tried hooking in the speakers to see if sounds will play and see if only the screen is busted. However, no sound is playing, too. :frowning:

@Bl4ckM4ch1n3 @albertgajsak @Tom I am fairly knowleadeable with the Arduino. Does this mean I need to burn the bootloader again in the ATMega? Although I will say I never attempted this before.

I also read another part of the forums here saying that I need to clean the contacts of the Nokia 5110 contacts to its breakout board, too. I did that, to no avail.

I’m wondering if you burned a component somewhere. If it was a hardware issue and you used the console without fixing it, it is likely it happened. Hope the screen is not broken.

@albertgajsak: I had a question about the SDcard: what kind of card is supported? On my new console I have one from which I cannot import the games. I guess it is not compatible. It just has to be lower than 2Go? I guess it is an addressing problem.

1 Like

This depends on the used library I think. I saw a couple of posts on the arduino forum, where people are working with 8GB sdcards FAT32 formatted.

@Charles_Janoah_Polic it looks like you would press the C-button after you’ve inserted the SDcard (because it switches back to the title screen). Very unusual. I guess @albertgajsak is right.

I don’t think that you’ll need to burn the bootloader again as it’s only used when you’re flashing another software/game.

Maybe there’s a problem on the SPI bus. This would explain why your sdcard and your display aren’t working.

1 Like

@Tom, the card has to be 2GB or lower (FAT16). MAKERbuino does not work with larger cards (everything larger than 2GB has a FAT32 file system which is unfortunately not supported by MAKERbuino.
Most of <2GB cards will work except some old ones with lots of bad sectors or cheap chinese cards (they usually cost USD1).

@Charles_Janoah_Polic

• cleaning the screen here won’t help as you cannot hear the startup sound
  • reflashing the micro won’t help, the problem is with the card

My suggestion: send the unit to our address
CircuitMess,
Maksimilijana Vrhovca 11
47000 Karlovac,
Croatia

and I will repair it and send it back to you. This is getting out of hand and I did not see such problem before, I am afraid that I won’t be able to help you remotely.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

@Tom, the card has to be 2GB or lower (FAT16). MAKERbuino does not work with larger cards (everything larger than 2GB has a FAT32 file system which is unfortunately not supported by MAKERbuino.
Most of <2GB cards will work except some old ones with lots of bad sectors or cheap chinese cards (they usually cost USD1).

@Charles_Janoah_Polic

• cleaning the screen here won’t help as you cannot hear the startup sound
  • reflashing the micro won’t help, the problem is with the card

My suggestion: send the unit to our address
CircuitMess,
Maksimilijana Vrhovca 11
47000 Karlovac,
Croatia

and I will repair it and send it back to you. This is getting out of hand and I did not see such problem before, I am afraid that I won’t be able to help you remotely.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

@albertgajsak @Bl4ckM4ch1n3 @Tom Thanks a lot. I will still look into this.

@albertgajsak I just messaged you with regards to sending this unit back to you.

I am a sucker for DIY retro game consoles, so I hope this can be resolved :frowning:

1 Like

If anyone is still following this thread, the problem is finally resolved when I sent the device to @albertgajsak for troubleshooting. He was very accommodating of my problem, and it went through smoothly. Thanks again, @albertgajsak!

2 Likes

No problem, I’m glad I could help.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience and understanding.

I’ll mark the topic as [SOLVED].

See you around at the forum :slight_smile:

Hi,
I am having similar issue with a SD card. The Makerbuino starts fine and shows the no card logo fine without issue, but when I have a sd card inserted, it show the screen with the abc buttons, starts to play a sound then restart in a loop. I have yet to try copying the files again and to test with other sd cards, but it looks similar to op’s problem, as thus, @albertgajsak would you be nice enough to detail what the issue was with the op’s console was?
Thanks by advance!