So I can cast the silicone bit with the new material but I dont like how tall the buttons are; when they’re pressed they have a tendency to roll over the face of the phone instead of descend and press the button. Here’s some colours I tried, getting the corrugated boot correct is a trick because that’s a closed-faced section of an otgerwise open-faced mold. If bubbles persist and I can’t get a reliable thickness there I’ll have to thin the rubber a bit more, but that’s just a little tweaking and practicing:
The button caps behind the screen which are uploaded on GrabCAD also need two things: correct exporting and they need 0.2mm off the top. For this assembly there are two versions of the button caps behind the silicone with two slightly different heights. The idea was to slightly preload the button cap top against the silicone using taller caps which would reduce the effort to push the button… if the force wasn’t enough to depress the button… and it nearly is enough force. Turns out that extra 0.2mm compression is too much and should come off! To make the silicone less frictive in the front case as well, another 0.5mm of clearance would be beneficial to the cutouts in the front case. Other than that it’s running good
Expect updates to these models soon:
Small Button caps
Other than that, I love it!
I’ll be fixing up the models soon, I’m also making a ton of masks (which have been forming into a pile of neglected fabric lately) so it may not happen today, nothing other than the three listed parts are getting more than updates though so most can be printed now. You might not even experience the issues I’m experiencing at this point because a lot of it can be explained by the hard upper limit on the quality of parts that come out of my extremely affordable and gently damaged 3D printer.
Because ufortunately there’s no settings in my slicer to compensate for worn rod ends and a wobbly frame design, I don’t think I can sell any 3D printed parts out of this printer in good conscience. I will offer to sell cases pre-assembled once I’ve had a chance to upgrade my printing hardware, as well as individual rubbery bits to those who 3D print their own case. I will be getting a new mold made by Shapeways (or by myself if printer upgrade happens first) when I’ve got some cash saved, they quoted me around $100 CAD for it and that’s just a bit much for John right now.
In summary: the case works, it works well, there’s some tweaks to make it better coming soon, and I’m working to save my money and improve my facilities so I can produce these for you nice people at a level of quality that will make me feel good about your using it daily