SIM not recognised

HI, after assembling the Ringo and a successful 4G module test, the SIM is not recognised. Any ideas? Tried 2 different SIMs. Based in Switzerland. Kind regards, Thomas

1 Like

I face the same issue as you Thomas though I am using the 2G modem. Tested it with 2 SIM cards that have PIN disabled. Robert from the support of CircuitMess correctly suggested starting from the basics, to ensure that the SIM card is placed properly. Unfortunately, the card was already placed correctly (there is only one proper way where the SIM slot would “click”)

Still have not found time to debug it. I hope during the weekend to find some time to look on it.

Here are the logs while booting Ringo:

######################## Start of Serial Logs ###############################
ets Jun  8 2016 00:22:57

rst:0xc (SW_CPU_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
mode:DIO, clock div:2
load:0x3fff0018,len:4
load:0x3fff001c,len:928
ho 0 tail 12 room 4
load:0x40078000,len:9280
load:0x40080400,len:5860
entry 0x40080698
Calibrated!
offset: 1914
[E][esp32-hal-i2c.c:1426] i2cCheckLineState(): Bus Invalid State, TwoWire() Can't init sda=0, scl=0
SD interrupt error: 0
Read sim value: 1
-------------
AT
OK
-------------
ATI
SIM800 R14.18

OK
checking sim

AT+CPIN?
+CME ERROR: SIM not inserted
printed at+cpin?

(...same message multiple times...)

AT+CPIN?
+CME ERROR: SIM not inserted
SD inserted

airplane_mode: 0
brightness: 5
sleep_time: 2
background_color: 0
notification: 0
ringtone: /Ringtones/Beepy.wav
CFUN checking
AT+CFUN?
+CFUN: 1

OK
next alarm: 99
module inserted
SIM NOT INSERTED
Serial1 up and running...
Setup: 0
--------------

AT+CBC
+CBC: 0,97,4180
--------------
AT+CBC
+CBC: 0,97,4180
######################## End of Serial Logs ###############################

Have the same problem here in Germany.

Hey everyone,

Are you completely sure that the SIM card is inserted properly? Because if it was, it definitely wouldn’t show the “SIM not inserted” message.

Please send me a photo of how you inserted it - it should be with the golden pins facing upwards and the small cutout facing away from the phone!

If you are sure it is correct, we will try some different things.

Cheers,
Robert

I am having the same problem. I first tried the Ting card that came with the phone. Thinking that might be defective, i went to a local mobile store and tried one of their cards, known to be working, and I still got the message “No SIM card”. SO that’s at least 3 of us with the same problem now. I have checked VERY carefully that the card is inserted in the correct orientation.

Will

Yes, sure. Thanks, Thomas

Same here with Ting card & TMobile card.

Please guys, send me the photo of the back of the phone + the one of the SIM tray both with the card inserted and without it. We will check if some of the pins may be damaged or if some of the components are not soldered well.

Make sure to take as many pictures as possible so we can determine what is causing the problem.

Thanks in advance!
Robert

I checked the pins on the SIM socket and even re-soldered them. No change.
Any chance this could be a firmware problem, maybe a timing thing?
Will

@wbp sorry to hear that.

Did you reach out with some photos of your phone with the SD card inserted?

Please, get in touch via contact@circuitmess.com or send a direct message to my friend Robert and we’ll help you out

Don’t worry, we’ll work this out

OK pictures… Card in:

and card out:

1 Like

Is this pad supposed to be empty? (area circled in green)

It is also not mounted on my card, so I guess that it’s suppose to be empty.
It is however not marked NM (Not Mounted) or something like that in the schematics. It seems to have something to do with ESD protection ( Electrostatic Discharge).
The missing chip is however named D9.4 on your board, D9.2 on my board but D9.1 in the schematics. So they are not in sync. They seems to all be different versions.

Update on my post: Robert was right, I am was placing the SIM card wrongly. The proper way is as wbp shows in his picture. (I am used to SIM slots that “click only when the SIM cards are entered in a specific way. May be this could be a refinement for future boards”)

I hope the rest of you that are still facing issues to find a solution to your problem.
Regards.

@ftylitak, I’m glad that you’ve managed to solve the issue.

We’ll work on placing more photos in the guide that show the SIM’s orientation more clearly.

And yes, I agree that a more intuitive SIM socket should be used in the future kit iterations

Can you link to that?

@Lightmatrix

Here it is -> https://www.circuitmess.com/ringo-basics/

Thank you!

What does the icon with the sim shape and exclamation mark next to it indicate? That is what my Ting card shows when inserted.

I’m getting the PIN code prompt, but after entering my SIM PIN, it won’t connect to any network. I get the SIM symbol with the exclamation mark then.

After I did a soft reset or after I return to the main menu after playing a game, the SIM slot won’t be recognized anymore at all. I have to do a hard reset to get it back, but with the same problem of not recognizing any SIM card I use.

Cheers,
Tobias

I sure hope they can figure this one out…

Will